Artisan/Artiflex surgery uses the ArtiLens that are iris fixated phakic intra ocular lenses. These lenses are meant for the correction of refractive errors, providing patients with high quality vision and reducing or avoiding the need for glasses or contact lenses. Another terminology used for this type of procedure is Phakic IOL.
Phakic refers to the fact that the lens is implanted into the eye without removing the eye’s natural lenses. It’s like implanting a contact lens inside your eyes instead of it being on the surface of the eye. The ArtiLenses used in Phakic IOL procedures are proven to be one of the world’s safest, most effective IOL designs. An ArtiLens is an ultra thin and implantable contact lens that is a reliable alternative to popular laser eye surgery treatments. The lens implants are placed inside the eye in front of the iris, much like a permanent contact lens. The lens does not need maintenance and can stay there for life, but it can also be removed at any time, if required. ArtiLens lenses are made of different materials. The optical part of the ArtiLens is made of silicone, a flexible material. The ArtiLens is made of PMMA, an inflexible plastic.
Phakic IOL Procedures
Dr Ilan Sebban is one of Australia’s most experienced eye surgeons with expertise in Artisan and Artiflex implant surgery. During implantation, the lens is first centred in front of the pupil and then iris tissue is enclosed between the claws of the lens so that it remains in the correct position. The part of the iris where the lens is held in place is in the mid-periphery, which is immobile during pupillary movement. This iris fixation method has already been in use for over 35 years and is both safe and effective.
For those who are extremely short sighted, long sighted, astigmatic, or who have an inadequate amount of corneal tissue or questionable corneal health, ArtiLens implants can be a safer and better option.
- The Phakic IOL treatment is reversible – If anything should go wrong, the eye can be returned to its original state. This is not possible in laser treatments where, during the treatment, a layer of the cornea is removed by the laser.
- Excellent visual acuity – Artilens maintain excellent visual acuity since the central cornea remains intact.
- Safe and effective – ArtiLens have been implanted for more than 25 years. Extensive studies have shown the lens to be safe and effective, even in the long term.
- Even major deviations can be corrected – ArtiLens are also available if you have a high plus or minus deviation (+12 to -23.5 dioptres) with or without cylinders. This is in contrast to laser treatments
- Below are some of the main advantages of ArtiLens that patients believe to be true after they’ve had the Artilens implantation:
- Always perfect vision
- A feeling of freedom
- Being able to do whatever you want
- Very safe and reliable
- Over 25 years of a proven concept
- Can treat high prescription errors including astigmatism
- Very small risk of complications
- Procedure is reversible – can just take it out.
- Simple, quick procedure
- Regular check-ups
- Life-long enjoyment
This shows the clip design and how it is attached securely on to the iris inside the eye. Learn more about Artiflex IOL or Phakic IOL procedure.
Click here for more information and videos on the Artiflex IOL.
Need payment options?
We have payment options for laser, PreLEX and cataract surgery